Crispy Roasted Pork Belly
Rosemary and thyme roasted pork belly with honey roasted carrots makes for a fantastic meal. When done right, the pork belly is wonderfully crisp on the outside, and juicy on the inside. The steps taken to ensure a crisp exterior such as prepping the belly the night before and increasing the heat to crackle the skin really work. In the end you will have a pork dish that you will never forget.
- • 2lb/1.2kg pork belly
- • 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- • 1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
- • Ground black pepper, to taste
- For this recipe you want to prepare your pork belly the night before.
- Wash the pork belly and pat dry. Score the pork skin in a criss cross pattern with a sharp knife. When scoring be sure not to cut into the meat.
- Liberally season with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper, rub in the marinade on both sides. (The salt will pull moisture out of the skin which will result in a crispy exterior). Set aside for 2 hours or allow to sit in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 220oC, 425oF, gas 7.
- Season pork with a little more salt, pepper and herbs if desired.
- Transfer pork belly (skin side up) to a roasting pan with a wire rack.
- Cook in the oven on high heat for about 20 minutes or until the skin turns golden brown and starts crackling.
- Reduce oven temperature to 170°C, 325°F, gas 3 and cook for about 1 1⁄2 to 2 hours.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Slice and serve with carrots or vegetables.